David Coleman
David Coleman, Lawyer
Experience:  BEc(SocSci). LLB (Usyd) - 5 years of Work Experience
8536376

Is there a statute of limitations on lewd molestation. For ...

Customer Question

Is there a statute of limitations on lewd molestation. For instance, if charges were dismmissed could you come back years later to retry a case with a change of venue?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  David Coleman replied 6 years ago.

Dear Sir,

There are some time limitations of claims under Oklahoma statutes but there are also exceptions. Under Oklahoma criminal statute of limitations laws, the statute of limitations for sexual assault, or rape, is 7 years. In cases involving DNA evidence, the case may be reopened for another 3 years when new evidence is presented. Also under current Oklahoma criminal statute of limitations laws, the statute of limitation on crimes such as rape, forcible sodomy and lewd molestation are eliminated as long as there is DNA evidence from the victim or crime scene that had been properly preserved.

Here is the part of the criminal code which deals with Second offences (there is a 10 year limit built into this).

§21-1123v1. Lewd or indecent proposals or acts as to child under 16 - Sexual battery.

A. Any person who shall knowingly and intentionally:

1. Make any oral, written or electronically or computer-generated lewd or indecent proposal to any child under sixteen (16) years of age for the child to have unlawful sexual relations or sexual intercourse with any person; or

2. Look upon, touch, maul, or feel the body or private parts of any child under sixteen (16) years of age in any lewd or lascivious manner by any acts against public decency and morality, as defined by law; or

3. Ask, invite, entice, or persuade any child under sixteen (16) years of age to go alone with any person to a secluded, remote, or secret place, with the unlawful and willful intent and purpose then and there to commit any crime against public decency and morality, as defined by law, with the child; or

4. In any manner lewdly or lasciviously look upon, touch, maul, or feel the body or private parts of any child under sixteen (16) years of age in any indecent manner or in any manner relating to sexual matters or sexual interest; or

5. In a lewd and lascivious manner and for the purpose of sexual gratification, urinate or defecate upon a child under sixteen (16) years of age or ejaculate upon or in the presence of a child, or force or require a child to look upon the body or private parts of another person or upon sexual acts performed in the presence of the child or force or require a child to touch or feel the body or private parts of said child or another person,

upon conviction, shall be deemed guilty of a felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the State Penitentiary for not less than one (1) year nor more than twenty (20) years, except as provided in Section 3 of this act. The provisions of this section shall not apply unless the accused is at least three (3) years older than the victim. Any person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of subsection A of this section shall be guilty of a felony and shall not be eligible for probation, suspended or deferred sentence. Any person convicted of a third or subsequent violation of subsection A of this section shall be guilty of a felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the State Penitentiary for a term of life or life without parole, in the discretion of the jury, or in case the jury fails or refuses to fix punishment then the same shall be pronounced by the court.

B. No person shall commit sexual battery on any other person. "Sexual battery" shall mean the intentional touching, mauling or feeling of the body or private parts of any person sixteen (16) years of age or older, in a lewd and lascivious manner and without the consent of that person or when committed by a state, county, municipal or political subdivision employee or a contractor or an employee of a contractor of the state, a county, a municipality or political subdivision of this state upon a person who is under the legal custody, supervision or authority of a state agency, a county, a municipality or a political subdivision of this state.

C. Any person convicted of any violation of this subsection shall be deemed guilty of a felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the State Penitentiary for not more than five (5) years.

[1] Added by Laws 1945, p. 95, § 1, emerg. eff. May 5, 1945. Amended by Laws 1947, p. 232, § 1, emerg. eff. March 6, 1947; Laws 1951, p. 60, § 1, emerg. eff. May 26, 1951; Laws 1955, p. 186, § 1, emerg. eff. May 24, 1955; Laws 1965, c. 97, § 1, emerg. eff. May 12, 1965; Laws 1981, c. 206, § 1, emerg. eff. May 26, 1981; Laws 1983, c. 42, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 1983; Laws 1985, c. 112, § 4, eff. Nov. 1, 1985; Laws 1989, c. 113, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 1989; Laws 1990, c. 224, § 4, eff. Sept. 1, 1990; Laws 1992, c. 289, § 3, emerg. eff. May 25, 1992; Laws 1997, c. 133, § 299, eff. July 1, 1999; Laws 1999, 1st Ex.Sess., c. 5, § 200, eff. July 1, 1999; Laws 2000, c. 175, § 2, eff. Nov. 1, 2000; Laws 2000, c. 334, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2000; Laws 2002, c. 455, § 6, emerg. eff. June 5, 2002.

NOTE: Laws 1998, 1st Ex.Sess., c. 2, § 23 amended the effective date of Laws 1997, c. 133, § 299 from July 1, 1998, to July 1, 1999.

NOTE: Laws 2000, c. 56, § 1 repealed by Laws 2000, c. 334, § 9, eff. Nov. 1, 2000. Laws 2007, c. 325, § 3 repealed by Laws 2008, c. 3, § 15, emerg. eff. Feb. 28, 2008.

[2]

§21-1123v2. Lewd or indecent proposals or acts as to child under 16 or person believed to be under 16 - Sexual battery.

A. It is a felony for any person to knowingly and intentionally:

1. Make any oral, written or electronically or computer-generated lewd or indecent proposal to any child under sixteen (16) years of age, or other individual the person believes to be a child under sixteen (16) years of age, for the child to have unlawful sexual relations or sexual intercourse with any person; or

3. Ask, invite, entice, or persuade any child under sixteen (16) years of age, or other individual the person believes to be a child under sixteen (16) years of age, to go alone with any person to a secluded, remote, or secret place, with the unlawful and willful intent and purpose then and there to commit any crime against public decency and morality, as defined by law, with the child; or

5. In a lewd and lascivious manner and for the purpose of sexual gratification:

a. urinate or defecate upon a child under sixteen (16) years of age,

b. ejaculate upon or in the presence of a child,

c. cause, expose, force or require a child to look upon the body or private parts of another person,

d. force or require any child under sixteen (16) years of age or other individual the person believes to be a child under sixteen (16) years of age, to view any obscene materials, child pornography or materials deemed harmful to minors as such terms are defined by Sections 1024.1 and 1040.75 of this title,

e. cause, expose, force or require a child to look upon sexual acts performed in the presence of the child, or

f. force or require a child to touch or feel the body or private parts of said child or another person.

Any person convicted of any violation of this subsection shall be punished by imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for not less than three (3) years nor more than twenty (20) years, except when the child is under twelve (12) years of age at the time the offense is committed, and in such case the person shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for not less than twenty-five (25) years. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply unless the accused is at least three (3) years older than the victim. Any person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a felony punishable as provided in this subsection and shall not be eligible for probation, suspended or deferred sentence. Any person convicted of a third or subsequent violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for a term of life or life without parole, in the discretion of the jury, or in case the jury fails or refuses to fix punishment then the same shall be pronounced by the court. Any person convicted of a violation of this subsection after having been twice convicted of a violation of subsection A of Section 1114 of this title, Section 888 of this title, sexual abuse of a child pursuant to Section 7115 of Title 10 of the Oklahoma Statutes, or of any attempt to commit any of these offenses or any combination of convictions pursuant to these sections shall be punished by imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for a term of life or life without parole.

C. Any person convicted of a violation of subsection B of this section shall be deemed guilty of a felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for not more than ten (10) years.

D. The fact that an undercover operative or law enforcement officer was involved in the detection and investigation of an offense pursuant to this section shall not constitute a defense to a prosecution under this section.

E. Except for persons sentenced to life or life without parole, any person sentenced to imprisonment for two (2) years or more for a violation of this section shall be required to serve a term of post-imprisonment supervision pursuant to subparagraph f of paragraph 1 of subsection A of Section 991a of Title 22 of the Oklahoma Statutes under conditions determined by the Department of Corrections. The jury shall be advised that the mandatory post-imprisonment supervision shall be in addition to the actual imprisonment.

[3] Added by Laws 1945, p. 95, § 1. Amended by Laws 1947, p. 232, § 1; Laws 1951, p. 60, § 1; Laws 1955, p. 186, § 1; Laws 1965, c. 97, § 1, emerg. eff. May 12, 1965; Laws 1981, c. 206, § 1, emerg. eff. May 26, 1981; Laws 1983, c. 42, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 1983; Laws 1985, c. 112, § 4, eff. Nov. 1, 1985; Laws 1989, c. 113, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 1989; Laws 1990, c. 224, § 4, eff. Sept. 1, 1990; Laws 1992, c. 289, § 3, emerg. eff. May 25, 1992; Laws 1997, c. 133, § 299, eff. July 1, 1999; Laws 1999, 1st Ex. Sess., c. 5, § 200, eff. July 1, 1999; Laws 2000, c. 175, § 2, eff. Nov. 1, 2000; Laws 2000, c. 334, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2000; Laws 2002, c. 110, § 2, eff. July 1, 2002; Laws 2002, c. 460, § 11, eff. Nov. 1, 2002; Laws 2003, c. 159, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2003; Laws 2006, c. 284, § 2, emerg. eff. June 7, 2006; Laws 2007, c. 261, § 19, eff. Nov. 1, 2007; Laws 2008, c. 3, § 14, emerg. eff. Feb. 28, 2008.

NOTE: Laws 1998, 1st Ex. Sess., c. 2, § 23 amended the effective date of Laws 1997, c. 133, § 299 from July 1, 1998, to July 1, 1999.

BDERIV

EDERIV

BDERIV

§21-51.1a. Second offense of rape in the first degree, forcible sodomy, lewd molestation or sexual abuse of a child.

Any person convicted of rape in the first degree, forcible sodomy, lewd molestation or sexual abuse of a child after having been convicted of either rape in the first degree, forcible sodomy, lewd molestation or sexual abuse of a child shall be sentenced to life without parole.

[1] Added by Laws 2002, c. 455, § 3, emerg. eff. June 5, 2002.

[2]

§21-51.2. Second and subsequent offenses 10 years after completion of sentence.

Except as provided in Section 3 of this act, no person shall be sentenced as a second and subsequent offender under Section 51.1 of this title, or any other section of the Oklahoma Statutes, when a period of ten (10) years has elapsed since the completion of the sentence imposed on the former conviction; provided, said person has not, in the meantime, been convicted of a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude or a felony. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the use of a prior conviction for physical or sexually related child abuse as a prior conviction for second and subsequent offender purposes if the person is presently charged with a felony crime involving physical or sexually related child abuse.

[3] Added by Laws 1999, 1st Ex.Sess., c. 5, § 435, eff. July 1, 1999. Amended by Laws 2000, c. 245, § 2, eff. Nov. 1, 2000; Laws 2002, c. 455, § 2, emerg. eff. June 5, 2002.