Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

I was just wondering if there is a statute of

I was just wondering if there is a statute of limitations on fraud and embazzelment?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

Depending on the amount of money involved as to the degree of the felony, the Statute of Limitations is 5 or 6 years - see the law I have provided for you

30-1-8. Time limitations for commencing prosecution.

No person shall be prosecuted, tried or punished in any court of this state unless the indictment is found or information or complaint is filed therefor within the time as provided:

A. for a second degree felony, within six years from the time the crime was committed;

B. for a third or fourth degree felony, within five years from the time the crime was committed;

C. for a misdemeanor, within two years from the time the crime was committed;

D. for a petty misdemeanor, within one year from the time the crime was committed;

E. for any crime against or violation of Section 51-1-38 NMSA 1978, within three years from the time the crime was committed;

F. for a felony pursuant to Sections 7-1-72 or 7-1-73 NMSA 1978 or Section 4 of this 2005 act, within five years from the time the crime was committed; provided that for a series of crimes involving multiple filing periods within one calendar year, the limitation shall begin to run on December 31 of the year in which the crimes occurred;

G. for any crime not contained in the Criminal Code [30-1-1 NMSA 1978] or where a limitation is not otherwise provided for, within three years from the time the crime was committed; and

H. for a capital felony or a first degree violent felony, no limitation period shall exist and prosecution for these crimes may commence at any time after the occurrence of the crime.

Best to you,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience: 30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The amount of money was around $8,000.00, and she is paying back $12,000.00. She's just afraid that even after paying it all back she will go to jail.