Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

what is the status for early release of prison inmate ...

what is the status for early release of prison inmate in North Carolina?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

In 1994, the N.C. General Assembly enacted Structured Sentencing, which eliminated parole. However, the Commission established conditions of post-release supervision for class B1-E felons who are convicted under the Structured Sentencing Act.

Under structured sentencing, good time, gain time, and parole are eliminated. Felons sentenced to prison must serve 100% of their minimum term and may serve up to their maximum term if they misbehave, fail to work, or refuse to participate in programs. Upon release, felony offenders convicted of more serious felony offenses must be placed on post-release supervision. Misdemeanants must serve the full jail term unless the Sheriff elects to award earned time of up to four days a month for specific activities.

Best to you ,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle