David Coleman
David Coleman, Lawyer
Experience:  BEc(SocSci). LLB (Usyd) - 5 years of Work Experience
8536376

what do I do, if I know my boyfriend stole money from ...

what do I do, if I know my boyfriend stole money from me but I didn''t see him do it? This time was only $50.00, but it''s still stealing! Can I take legal action?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  David Coleman replied 8 years ago.
Dear Madam,

I think the best thing you can do about this is confront your boyfriend about it and ask him to give the mone back. Theoretically you might be able to take legal action, but the filing fee for the court would probably be more than 50$ and then you all of the opportunity cost of wasting time in court. Attorneys fees for a legal action like this could run into several hundred dollars. If you really feel strongly about it, I think the best thing to do would be to contact either the local police or your local court to see about making a small claim.

Regards,

XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you.. I have confronted him and of course he denied it.. What would the police do-- I know it's probably not worth the courts time, but just to scare him would be good enough for me and then to get him out-of-my-life!! Would the police arrest him or would I have to take out a warrant?