TruthFinder, Consultant
Experience:  Personal and professional research consultant for over 7 years & always updating my knowledge.

Im being charged with check fraud. What should i do

The detective told me that there is over 51000 worth of fraudulent checks that I''m being charged with. I have never been arrested, no felonies, or misdeamoners. He said there could be 115 counts of fraud against me. What should I do? Whats the maximum sentence I can recieve in court? Should I hire a lawyer? Thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TruthFinder replied 8 years ago.
For checks under $200 it would be a misdemeanor offense and you could get off with no jail time, however, with 115 counts and over $51,000 in charges, this could not only prove to be a serious felony but also a Federal Offense. It is HIGHLY recommended that you retain legal counsel and since this will be a felony, you would qualify for a public defender if you can't afford an attorney; yet an attorney like the one HERE is recommended. Read more HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE on California criminal law.