Flagbridge-CL
Flagbridge-CL, Consultant
Experience:  Honors Law Graduate, Passed New York Bar, Senior Legal Consultant
2368596

The police came to my home looking for my grandson who ...

The police came to my home looking for my grandson who frequently uses my address without my knowledge. When I told them that he didn''t live with me, the officer stated that they needed to search my home forn him. I said okay. My question is when can officers search your home (bench or search warrant), and can you see the warrant first?

They are allowed to search a home

a) When there is an arrest warrant for someone at that address.
b) When they have a warrant to search for a particular item, contraband, evidence etc.

You are 100% entitled to see the warrant.

Outside of having a warrant they must have the homeowners permission, and in addition if an occupant has a locked box, then the owner of the box/locked closet needs to give permission to search.

If there was a bench warrant, and this address was listed on the warrant, then they are allowed to search the house for him. They are not allowed to look anywhere a person can not hide.

If this helps please click ACCEPT.

Regards