Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience

I was caught shooting a slingshot out my window at another ...

I was caught shooting a slingshot out my window at another building they didnt arrest me but i have been charged with criminal mischief and he also wrote an "other" law on the summons "throwing rocks stones etc. In the process i accidentally broke the sign on the building. I beleive the damage is less than a hundred so this should be a class 3 misdemeanor in colorado i believe meaning I can be sentnced from 50 dollar fine to 6months in jail and a 750dollar fine. I need to know if i maight actually be sentenced to jail time since it wasnt intentional and i have never been in trouble with the law before. Also if i am sentenced to jail is that when bail comes into play. So if say im sentenced to a month can i just post bail and be out.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 8 years ago.

Very very unlikely you will be sentenced to jail, as a first offense. However the statute allows for jail time and its in the discretion of the judge. "Bail" applies when you are in jail before a trial and posting bail allows you to get out and wait for the trial to occur. Best course here is to be contrie and apologetic and make sure when you go to court that you have the money to pay for the damage done and that you are willing to pay promptly. Since the law allows for jail time you have a right to a lawyer and if you can;t afford one, the court must appoint one for you. I'm sure this will workout good for you. All the best,

All the best,