Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

I have a friend from Georgia. He moved from there in the ...

Customer Question

I have a friend from Georgia. He moved from there in the year 2000. He recently had a driving charge in another state and was fined $100. He was made aware that he has a warrant in Georgia for a forgery but, that it was non-extraditable. My question is this: How long is a warrant, such as this one, in effect. I was under the impression that the life of a warrant is 7 years. Is this correct?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

Unfortunately, a warrant has a life of it's own and remains active until served or otherwise recalled by the issuing court. While GA may not extradite, it will be active if he is stopped in GA and, he would be arrested at that time. The NO Extradition applies to interstate transactions.

§ 17-4-44. Warrants may be issued in any county; execution of warrants without backing or endorsement of judicial officer in county where warrant is executed
A warrant for arrest may be issued in any county, though the crime was committed in another county. A warrant, once issued, may be executed in any county without being backed or endorsed by a judicial officer in the county where the warrant is executed.

Best to all in this matter,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience: 30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Michelle. Although I'm sure you are correct, I would appreciate the opinion of another law professional. If the information is the same, I will agree to accept the information I received from you in order that you be paid for your services.

Thank You
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

That is fine. I have opted out and another expert will evaluate my answer. Best to you

Expert:  J D Haas replied 6 years ago.
I am a lawyer with 23 years of trial law practice. I agree with Michelle's answer. Please accept her answer so that she gets paid for her hard work on your behalf. Thanks.

J D Haas
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just trying to be sure that we know where we stand and not just accept the first answer we get. This particular warrant is for an 8 year old forgery for less than $500 but the possibility of jail time is real. My friend is scared, as he should be, and needs to be accountable for his actions. I've done what I can and I thank you both for your time.
Expert:  J D Haas replied 6 years ago.
Best wishes to you and to your friend. I hope that this can be resolved.