ExperiencedParalegal, Paralegal
Experience:  MultipleAreasofLaw

Positive Urine test

Customer Question

Case is in Suffolk County. This was in July of 07.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  ExperiencedParalegal replied 8 years ago.
Welcome to What exactly are you asking?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
SORRY!! Im asking if a positive result from a urine test (taken in Court) could be from Zoloft, Nasonex, antibiotics or Advil PM. These are all the meds I was taking at the time of the test. I tested positive for benzos in July 07 and was NOT taking any benzos. This has caused HUGE HUGE problems for me and almost cost me custody of my children. (We are in middle of a nasty divorce). I am trying to get to the bottom of it as it still plagues me. Dont you think the fact that I tested NEGATIVE the very same day - I left court and went and took a blood test- should clear me?? I also took a hair follicle test which came up negative for all substances and took daily urine tests for two weeks following this and all came up negative. If there was anything in my system, surely one of these tests would have been positive. I beleive the court confirms all tests with GC/MS - I know the lab I went to does- but I have not actually seen a copy of the test taken in Court. I am trying to get one to see exactly what type of benzo it tested positive for and if there is any way to see a breakdown of that. Im no expert but I know there must be some explanation. I really need help and it seems like attys and Judges just dont know this type of thing. I dont know where to turn. They just hear POSITIVE and they are ready to hang you. PLEASE OH PLEASE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE YOU CAN. I APPRECIATE IT. thank you.
Dear Offalrose:

I now more clearly understand your situation. I need to know exactly what you tested positive for. Are you saying that the only thing you tested positive for was Benzodiazepines? Were there any other drugs that came back positive in your test? Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No other drugs tested positive, just Benzo. Thank you

Benzodiazepines are a large class of commonly prescribed tranquillizers, otherwise referred to as central nervous system (CNS) depressants, anxiolytics and sedative-hypnotics. They include alprazolam (Xanax), bromazepam (Lexotan, Lexomil), chlordiazepoxide (Librium, Nova-Pam), clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril), clorazepate (Tranxene), diazepam (Valium, D-Pam, Pro-Pam), estazolam (ProSom), flunitrazepam (Rohypnol), flurazepam (Dalmane), halazepam (Paxipam), ketazolam (Anxon), loprazolam (Dormonoct), lorazepam (Ativan), lormetazepam (Noctamid), medazepam (Nobrium), midazolam, (Versed, Hypnovel, Dormicum), nitrazepam (Mogadon, Insoma, Nitrados), oxazepam (Serax, Serapax, Serenid, Benzotran), prazepam (Centrax), quazepam (Doral), temazepam (Restoril, Euhypnos, Normison, Sompam), triazolam (Halcion, Hypam, Tricam). Benzodiazepines are the most commonly used antianxiety drugs in the United States.

Yes, I do believe that the fact that you tested negative the very same day should help to clear you. If there was any Benzodiazepines in your system, they could not have gotten out that quickly. I completely understand that when the court hears the word positive that they are ready to hang you. Even so, Benzos are prescribed drugs, not illegal drugs, and you told me that that was all that was found in your system.

What you should do now is just get the results from the other drug tests that you took, so that you have it on paper. I am not sure if you currently have an attorney or not, but if so, get him/her the results also.

Please let me know if you should need anything further.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO CLICK THE ACCEPT BUTTON. The statement above is meant in an effort to help guide you in the right direction. Please remember that the fees paid are for information, not legal advice. If you need legal advice you should seek an attorney in the area of which your legal issue pertains to. Positive feedback is greatly appreciated as are bonuses