Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

Is the 65% law affective in North Carolina

I have been hearing rumors of the 65% law coming back in the state of North Carolina are they true? Also is parole coming back as well. If there is somewhere I can find answers to questions similiar to these please inform me...Thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Johnral replied 6 years ago.

Hello.

Can you please clarify what you mean by the "65% law"?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
65% law meaning......Inmates in North Carolina have to do 65% of their sentence and I think I heard they can get out or in some way get parole early maybe even a time cut??? I am not sure of what it is but I have heard something about inmates doing 65% of their sentence. Even if this is only for good behavior or work release I am just unsure if it is true because it used to be affective in NC years ago.....I thought maybe it was back or coming back into affect.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am still waiting for an answer.
Expert:  Johnral replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for that clarification.

I'm going to opt out of this and defer to others with more experience with this issue.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would like a prompt answer please because I have already paid for my question. How soon can I receive feedback????
Expert:  Johnral replied 6 years ago.

Hello.

I am an attorney in North Carolina, but I don't work with this particular issue enough to give you a reliable answer. Hopefully other experts who have experience with the current laws and procedures regarding the length of incarceration can give you more information. If you don't get an answer, you may want to see if there is a way to re-post the question (without paying again) perhaps with a clearer description of the issue (i.e. the "65% rule" issue).

I hope you get an answer soon.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you please refer me to someone who can help me or at least refer me to a site that will help me. Again thank you for your time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have paid my money I am very upset I have not recieved an answer I would like my answer and I want to know who to ask!!!!
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

Please do not be upset. Because JA experts are diverified, this occassionally occurs as we get new experts who are feeling their way around and learning not to answer questions they are not familiar with and only those they can answer and I thank you for your patience. Also please note that while there is a debit to your card, that money remains on your JA account until you accept an answer - if you want to have your deposit returned you can contact info@justanswer.com Note that I have your answer

Anyway, I am familiar with the prison systems and parole. There is no move to bring back the 65%. As you are probably aware, in 1994, the N.C. General Assembly enacted Structured Sentencing, which eliminated parole. However, the Commission established conditions of post-release supervision for class B1-E felons who are convicted under the Structured Sentencing Act.

Under structured sentencing, good time, gain time, and parole are eliminated. Felons sentenced to prison must serve 100% of their minimum term and may serve up to their maximum term if they misbehave, fail to work, or refuse to participate in programs. Upon release, felony offenders convicted of more serious felony offenses must be placed on post-release supervision. Misdemeanants must serve the full jail term unless the Sheriff elects to award earned time of up to four days a month for specific activities.

Best to you ,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~

Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience: 30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs