Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

I will have to testify in a criminal case this year. The ...

Customer Question

I will have to testify in a criminal case this year. The D.A. told me that my employer has to pay me as if I am at work (like jury duty). I need to know this when I talk to HR. Please advise of my rights.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

That information is not accurate. Given the proper notice an employer cannot fire you or force you to use any leave for that day - but they do not need to compensate you.

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle