Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

If you are given a citation for serving a minor beer ...

If you are given a citation for serving a minor beer and plead guilty in the courts will your licscene to sevre be revoked for any amount of time.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX walls

Most states have a hearing before the liquor board to make that determination. Sometimes, there is a suspension and a fine and sometimes just a fine. I would need your state to further answer as to what the possible sanctions are for you.

Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience: 30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live in memphis tn. i have been serving behind a bar for 13 years and never had a citation.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for that information. Please tell me are you looking for the fine to you as the bartender or are you concerned the owner will lose their license?

Thank you ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
looking for the fine for me the bartender. i know it may vary but i am just trying to make sure if i plead guilty in the courts are they going to take my license away.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX walls

Here is the law according to the TN Code - also keep in mind

(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that any person accused of giving or buying alcoholic beverages or beer for a minor acted upon a reasonably held belief that the minor was of legal age. The belief may be acquired by virtue of the minor making a false statement or presenting false identification that indicates that the minor is twenty-one (21) years of age or older.

(b) Sales to Minors Prohibited.

(1) (A) Any licensee or other person who sells, furnishes, disposes of, gives, or causes to be sold, furnished, disposed of, or given, any alcoholic beverage to any person under twenty-one (21) years of age commits a Class A misdemeanor and shall be punished in accordance with § 39-15-404, as well as any other applicable section. HERE IS (1) Class A misdemeanor, not greater than eleven (11) months, twenty-nine (29) days or a fine not to exceed two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), or both, unless otherwise provided by statute;

(B) Any licensee engaging in business regulated hereunder or any employee thereof who sells, furnishes, disposes of, gives, or causes to be sold, furnished, disposed of, or given any beer or malt beverage as defined in § 57-6-102 to any person under twenty-one (21) years of age is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

(2) Any person under the age of twenty-one (21) years who:

(A) Purchases, attempts to purchase, receives, or has in such person's possession in any public place, any alcoholic beverage, commits a Class A misdemeanor; or

(B) Knowingly makes a false statement or exhibits false identification to the effect that the licensee is twenty-one (21) years of age or older to any person engaged in the sale of alcoholic beverages for the purpose of purchasing or obtaining the same commits a Class A misdemeanor.

(i) If a person violating this subdivision (b)(2)(B) is less than eighteen (18) years of age, such person shall be punished by a fine of fifty dollars ($50.00) or not less than twenty (20) hours of community service work, which fine or penalty shall not be suspended or waived. The fine imposed by this subdivision (b)(2)(B)(i) shall apply regardless of whether the violator cooperates with law enforcement officers by telling them the place the alcohol was purchased or obtained or from whom it was purchased or obtained.

(ii) If the person violating this subdivision (b)(2)(B) is eighteen (18) years of age or older but less than twenty-one (21) years of age, such person shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50.00) nor more than two hundred dollars ($200) or by imprisonment in the local jail or workhouse for not less than five (5) days nor more than thirty (30) days. The penalties imposed by this subdivision (b)(2)(B)(ii) apply regardless of whether the violator cooperates with law enforcement officers by telling them the place the alcohol was purchased or obtained or from whom it was purchased or obtained.

(C) (i) In addition to any criminal penalty established by this section, a court in which a person younger than twenty-one (21) years of age is convicted of the purchase, attempt to purchase or possession of alcoholic beverages, or the making of a false statement or exhibition of false identification for the purpose of purchasing or obtaining alcoholic beverages in violation of this section, shall prepare and send to the department of safety, driver control division, within five (5) working days of the conviction an order of denial of driving privileges for the offender.

(ii) The court and the department of safety shall follow the same procedures and utilize the same sanctions and costs for an offender younger than twenty-one (21) years of age but eighteen (18) years of age or older as provided in title 55, chapter 10, part 7, for offenders younger than eighteen (18) years of age but thirteen (13) years of age or older.

(3) The provisions of this chapter do not prohibit any person eighteen (18) years of age or older from selling, transporting, possessing or dispensing alcoholic beverages in the course of such person's employment.

Again, such a violation will be reported to the TN Liquor Commission and a hearing will determine any other sanctions to the license holder.

Best to you,