LawEnforcement4you
LawEnforcement4you, Policeperson
Experience:  Police Officer – 22 yrs., Chief of Police – 5 yrs., Accident Reconstruction Specialist
8845463

Hi!I was con. of aggrivated assault with deadly

Customer Question

Hi!I was con. of aggrivated assault with deadly weapon(gun) back in 2000(ilinois)gun was legal permit etc.Now when i fill applications,what i should put on app.charge was 6mo conditional disscharge.Now when i pull my rec.criminal records found 0.What gonna hepend if i put NO felony or missdeminor in application for job.It is been 7 years.Thank you for answer.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawEnforcement4you replied 9 years ago.
HelloCustomer

In the past many criminal convictions were not reported by individual states to the FBI for inclusion in the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) index. However, many municipalities, counties, and states are computerizing their old records and are now reporting information from several years ago. Recently here in Massachusetts convictions from the 1960's and 1970's have started to show up on criminal record checks that were not there two years ago.

If you answer no record on a job application and a conviction appears on a record check by the employer that will most likely result in your exclusion as a candidate for untruthfulness. Additionally, if you are hired and somewhere down the road the employer finds out about a conviction you did not list that would be grounds for dismissal.

I would suggest you contact the local court where you were convicted in Illinois and speak with the probation department. I would pose this question to them: Will my conviction in 2000 ever be reported to the NCIC index or be recorded in the State of Illinois criminal offender index. The answer to this question should guide you as to whether or not you need to include the arrest or conviction on the job application.

Finally, be careful with the specific job application questions. Many employers are now asking if you have ever been arrested in additional to if you have ever been convicted of a crime.

I hope this helps you, if you have any further questions please let me know.

LEF4U