Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I am in the middle of a federal investigation and the ...

I am in the middle of a federal investigation and the FBI is wanting to charge me with wire fraud. What is the minimum and maximum time this could hold? I am the first person to step forward in this investigation willing to work with them to get a plea bargain. I would like immunity because I have alot of information I feel they could use. What do you suggest?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 8 years ago.

The penalties for wire fraud are set forth in 18 United States Code § 1343, which provides as follows:

§ 1343. Fraud by wire, radio, or television:

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, transmits or causes to be transmitted by means of wire, radio, or television communication in interstate or foreign commerce, any writings, signs, signals, pictures, or sounds for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If the violation affects a financial institution, such person shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.

As you can see from the above, the minimum would be a fine of some amount and the maximum would be 20 years (or 30 years in the case of a financial institution).

As far as suggestions, it should obviously be a goal not to be incarcerated, and just try to get off with some amount of fine. If you are seeking an immunity deal, you should be represented by counsel in your area before you enter into any discussions of your immunity and plea deal.

Good luck.