4ren6
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation
Experience:  Over 20 years of Law Enforcement. Sworn expert witness in Criminal and Civil Law.
796442

When you go to get a public defender can they go with you

I have been charged with with forgery and I am in the middle of a civil trial with that involves the same dentist who is making the accusations. I never signed his name without his permission. I just need an attorney to go with me to turn myself in so I need to know how long it takes once the paparwork is filled out for a public defender and can they go to the police station with me. I don''t want to say anything to incrimnate myself or my civil case.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
you say you have been charged with forgery..........is this talk or have you been formally arrested for such. Have you had your initial court appearance on this..........? Why are you turning yourself in.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: I have not been arrested, the investigator called on Wed and asked me to come down and talk to him about an investigation that involved me and told me that he had evidence that I had forged prescriptions for the dentist I worked for. I told him I would be glad to come down because I had nothing to hide and I had not done that and then I said before I come though I need to call my attorney that I am in a civil law suit against this person with because he I feel like he should know. My attorney then advised me not to go and called the officer back and told him if he had evidence call him back and get a warrant. On Friday my att for my civil trial contacted me and said they had 5 warrants. So I spoke to a friend who is attorney and he called and told them I would turn myself in on Monday. I just don't know how all this works and I need help I never did anything wrong and I don't want to go in there alone and have to sit for a long time to be appointed an attorney. The d that I am in the civil suit with is also under investigation for other things.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
Then get your attorney to go with you for turning yourself in. Do not speak or give any information without an attorney present. If you do not have an attorney then give them no information. Invoke your rights and at your first appearance for charges request that a public defender be assigned to you. If you can get an attorney to go with you the first time would be your best bet. They can most likely keep you from a high bail and or having to stay in jail longer then needed. reply if needed.
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation
Experience: Over 20 years of Law Enforcement. Sworn expert witness in Criminal and Civil Law.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: How much does something like this normally cost if you don't use a public defender?
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
depending on the complexity of the case it could go easy into the 2-3 digit figures. reply if needed. attempt to get a public defender.
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could you please give me a run down of what is going to happen when I get there in the morning? I don't understand how a person can be charged of a crime they did not commit and have to prove their innocent.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
If you have warrants out for yourself you will be arrested and formally charged. You will be read your miranda rights and you do not have to discuss anything without an attorney present. You will be held for a first apepearance before a judge to pled guilty or not. If you pled not guilty the judge will then ask you if you can afford an attorney. If not and you qualify due to low income they can appoint an attorney to represent you. You will be booked, photographed and fingerprinted. reply if needed.
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If someone comes to bail you out with a property and a husband and wife are both on the property do both of them have to be present to sign or can just one person come sign?
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
both would need to sign. attempt to be released on your own recognizance if possible. This means that you are not a risk of flight or a danger. If you have no history of trouble the courts should allow a ROR.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you get released on ROR for felony? Also have you ever seen a case where someone was charged of something like this? I don't mind paying for your advice I just want to know what to expect. I just don't know what to think. I haven't done anything wrong and I am having to go and be treated like a criminal.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
If this is a first offense and depending on representation you can be released on your own. No, I have never seen a case such as this. It appears this is retaliation for your civil suit and they must prove the forgery. just be honest and if your able to provide a lie detector test then offer to give one. But again, have representation if possible. reply if needed. I am going off for the night here in a few. will be back on tomorrow.
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation