LawEnforcement4you, Policeperson
Experience:  Police Officer – 22 yrs., Chief of Police – 5 yrs., Accident Reconstruction Specialist

how long do I have to file a complaint against an police off

Customer Question

I going to file a complaint against 2 police officers, I would like a lawyer present what type of lawyer you suggest?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawEnforcement4you replied 8 years ago.

There is no set time to file a complaint against a police officer. The time frame is usually a reasonable amount of time since the incident happened. This is because most people fear filing a complaint. However, some police departments have internal rules in reference to a specify time frame for accepting a complaint.

I wouldn't wait too long for the fact the longer you wait the less it looks like you were aggrieved

If you were going to use an attorney I would look for one that specializes in civil rights violations.

Good luck and I hope I answered your question to your satisfaction.