Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

what is the penalty for fleeing the U.S to avoid prosecution

Customer Question

My friend fled the country in a panic to avoid going to jail whan a plea bargain had already been agreed between the D.A and his lawyer, he wants to turn himself in, will he be able to get the same deal? If not, how much time would he get for fleeing?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

Please tell me what state your friend has the charges and is fleeing, so I can accurately assist you.

Thanks ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michelle's Post: The charges were made in Manatee county, and he has left the country. The initial charges were, attepmted murde, burglary and aggravated assault, he got in a fight, and the only charge now standing is the assault, plus whatever the charge is for fleeing. The plea bargain was agreed between the lawyers, for him to serve 11 months and 29 days in the county jail.
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

Geez. It sounds like he got a great break with that deal. It is unfortunate that he fled. The deal would not still be on the table - though he could get a good attorney and try to re-neogiate it. The fleeing has made him a fugitive from justice, which is a felony and could get him 5 to 15 years.

I suggest, he might want to contact a Florida attorney to discuss the matter and see what can be worked out if he surrenders on the warrant.

Best to you both,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thankyou for you help.
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

You are welcome - keep in mind, that the warrant will be active until otherwise recalled by the issuing court.