Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

In Maryland, St Marys County, I was stopped in a ...

In Maryland, St Mary''s County, I was stopped in a parking lot after a bystander flagged a police officer who claimed I hit a parked car backing out of my space. I denied this, and as it turns out, there were no marks on my or any other car, but I was stopped, given a field sobriety test, which registered .13. I was charged and ultimately blew .13 at the station. I have no priors; what do I need to ask my attorney during my initial consult?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

I suggest you want to ask the attorney

1 their history on getting DWI's placed on a stet docket, nol prossed or otherwise dismissed

2 what do they think about the probable cause in light of no marks on your vehicle

3 thier track record for getting a first time DWI reduced to an underlying charge such as malicious and dangerous driving - which is expungeable as opposed to a DWI which is not

4 Track record for getting Probation Before Judgement for any of the charges

5 Do they have any successful cases where they have been able to get the BAC results thrown out based on the tool itself being inaccurate due to malfunction

6 Ask how many DWI's they handle a month and what their success rate is - your don't want an overworked attorney - you want one who is going to treat you as if you are their only client.

7 What is the fee structure - flat or hourly - you want a flat rate - keep in mind that a higher fee should equate to getting dismissals - anyone can get a PBJ

And, if you have time, check out the clerk's office in the court house - ask about the attorneys -the clerks know all the juice.

Best of success to you in this matter.

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle