LawEnforcement4you
LawEnforcement4you, Policeperson
Experience:  Police Officer – 22 yrs., Chief of Police – 5 yrs., Accident Reconstruction Specialist
8845463

My daughter got into a cat fight with another ...

Customer Question

My daughter got into a "cat fight" with another girl. About 20 minutes after the fight was over the girl''s boyfriend called the cops who came to the house. The girl and her boyfriend told the police my daughter hit the other girl but this was not ture the "cat fight" was pretty even. The police asked questions but no charges were filed. They told the other girl she had 1 year to file charges. Should my daughter also file a police report saying she was hit? even though its a week after the fact. Thanks.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawEnforcement4you replied 9 years ago.

Hello jmorrison,

Absolutely, you should try and file the report. You may be told that you had your chance when the police contacted you. You should be adamant that your daughter's side of the story be documented. I would recommend you sit down first with her and have her write up exactly what she said happened and when you go to the police provide her statement in writing.

Unfortunately, sometime in the law enforcement world the first one to report the complaint has the upper hand.

Good Luck,

LEF4U