Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

my niece has been named co defendant in a case involving ...

my niece has been named co defendant in a case involving her boyfriend where he was charged with possession of 18 lbs of marijuana with intent to deliver. the drugs were found in her house. what does being named a co defendant mean
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

It means she will be charged equally with whatever crimes the state sets forth. Many times this is done in anticipation of one of the "co-defendants" giving information or testifing against the other(s) in exchange for a lesser charge and sentence.

Best to all of you in this matter,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle