Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

confession for applying online for credit card

I wrote you two days ago to tell you I applied for a credit card using someone esle social security card #XXXXX I went into sheriff office and comfessed. This was not to get money but to only see if it could be done. I confessed and gave them a written statement. He the sheriff has now contacted my husband which he said he wouldn't do also stated he is going to contact my children.They have no idea about this. I have spoke to the person whos SS number I used and apologized to her. The sheriff told my husband things that were not what I said. He told him I indicated my children which is not ture. He told my husband the person involved who is the victim wanted my husband to know. She is or should I say a long time friend but when I spoke to her and aplogized she said she was waiting on the sheriff for one more thing. Why after a confession is he still presueing this. I ask him to call me back and he has not done so. I have no criminal records and I am 62 years old. Please advise
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

Dear Customer

Even with a confession, the police need to invesitgate the facts. Believe it or not there are people who will say they committed a crime when they really did not. Additionally, the facts need to be checked to make sure that what you confessed to is accurate.

This is an unfortunate situation for you and your family and friend. It is also possible that the sheriff is trying to work things out where you would not be charged with a crime. This, of course, would depend on what your friend wants to do and if the after investigating the sheriff feels it is something he needs to write up and present to the DA. I suggest, that you not take this personal. He is just trying to figure it all out. I am sure you can understand that it is not everyday someone just walks in and confessess to a crime.

Do you know if there will be charges filed against you - did you use the credit card for any purchases?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I never received the credit card. So far the sheriff has not filed charges.
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

Dear Customer

Well, that is why he is talking to everyone about this matter - it is possible that no charges will be filed. There is a Personal Financial Security Act which could produce a felony charge. That carries a penalty of possible 10 year incarceration. One cannot take the SS # XXXXX another for fradulent purposes.

You might consider a consultation with a local attorney who can assist you if there should be charges. You can contact the South Carolina Bar Assocation for such referral - 1-888-346-5592

Best to you in this matter,