Moe Manser
Moe Manser, Paralegal
Experience:  President of U.S. Legal Research Corp., over 15 years of assisting lawyers nationwide. Federal/State
8373170

Someone has used my password XXXXX get into my email

Someone has used my password XXXXX get into my email account and sent an email to the person I am dating giving them my login and password XXXXX I think I know who. Is it illegal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Moe Manser replied 9 years ago.
Dear jellybean

That is definitely illegal. You can file a police report, and request an investigation into the matter, if the police decides to proceed with the investigation, the court will subpoena the records from the email provider.

Regards
Moe

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Moe Manser's Post: So how long does the process usually take and is it difficult for the email provider to figure this out? Will it cost me anything?
What are the consiquences to their actions typically?
Dear Customer

I can not really give you a time period. that will depend on how fast the court acts on the matter, normally it takes a few weeks. The email provider, can trace the ip address and know when and who sent the email. If the investigation concludes that this individual actually committed this act, he can be criminally charged. There is no cost to you, for this matter, because you are the victim, filing a criminal complaint.

Regards
Moe
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Moe Manser's Post: thanks, XXXXX XXXXX question before I accept. Does there have to be monitary damages to me for them to take action?
Dear Customer

Not necessarily. The police can investigate a crime and prosecute even if no monitory damages are involved.

Regards
Moe
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Sorry I said one more but still have ?'s. I'll add $ to your accept.

Is this a felony? How serious do law enforcement take this? Can I sue them also?
Dear Customer

Yes, this is considered a felony in the state of California, however in order to sue, you would have to had suffered financially. The local police in California might not take this very seriously, but I am sure the secret service internet crimes division, will look into it. If the police does not agree to file a report, contact the secret service and inform them of the matter, the fact that this person has access to you private information and he is disturbing it on the internet, is very disturbing and it can impact your financial security as well.

Regards
Moe