jamest, Private Investigator
Experience:  Investigator of criminal law cases, especially Florida law. Work with retailers, others, consultant

Shoplifting in New Hampshire

No Comment Added
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  jamest replied 8 years ago.
what is it you want to know?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well I have recently been arrested for shop lifting at a Market Basket, for taking some wine and some mints. Being that I am 20 years of age and have no other offenses under my name. What are the odds of me getting disorderly conduct vs. a shoplifting charge? And Also what is my best case scenario/worst.
Expert:  jamest replied 8 years ago.
Well I am going to assume the wine was not dom prig or however it's spelled,or some other $500 bottles wine, so I will assume the total amount of goods which you stole or attempted to steal are valued at less than $500. If less than $500 New Hampshire law makes this theft a misdemeanor. Theft should be the proper charge, I do not see why it would be reclassified as disorderly conduct. the maximum sentence is one year. Realistically as a first time offender you can expect probation, fine, an order of restitution, possible substance abuse evaluation since the crime involved the theft or attempted theft of alcohol, if such evaluation determines you need treatment you may be required to do so as part of the probation. Jail time for a first offense of misdemeanor theft is not common, so i think the best thing to do is to talk to you public defender, take responsibility, and as long as you comply with the courts orders and commit no further crimes, you should be ok.