Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

How do I get my criminal sealed in the state of Colorado so ...

How do I get my criminal sealed in the state of Colorado so it wont show up on job applications?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear Customer

Please tell me what the crime is, how old you were at the time and how long ago they occured, so that I may accurately assist you.

Thanks ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
domestis violence august 2001 I was 24 at the time If you could please help me so I do not have to include this on any job applications Thank you
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear Customer

Thank you for your patience while I pulled the law for you - My computer is running very slow

CLICK HERE for section 24-72-308 of the CO code on sealing of records

It STATES

24-72-308. Sealing of records.

Statute text

(1) (a) (I) Except as otherwise provided in subparagraphs (II) and (III) of this paragraph (a), any person in interest may petition the district court of the district in which any arrest and criminal records information pertaining to said person in interest is located for the sealing of all of said records, except basic identification information, if the records are a record of official actions involving a criminal offense for which said person in interest was not charged, in any case which was completely dismissed, or in any case in which said person in interest was acquitted.

(II) Except as provided in subparagraph (III) of this paragraph (a), arrest or criminal records information may not be sealed if:

(A) An offense is not charged due to a plea agreement in a separate case;

(B) A dismissal occurs as part of a plea agreement in a separate case; or

(C) The defendant still owes restitution, fines, court costs, late fees, or other fees ordered by the court in the case that is the subject of the petition to seal criminal records, unless the court that entered the order for restitution, fines, court costs, late fees, or other fees has vacated such order.

(III) A person in interest may petition the district court of the district in which any arrest and criminal records information pertaining to said person in interest is located for the sealing of all of said records, except basic identification information, if the records are a record of official actions involving a criminal offense that was not charged or a case that was dismissed due to a plea agreement in a separate case, and if:

(A) The petition is filed fifteen years or more after the date of the final disposition of all criminal proceedings against the person in interest; and

(B) The person in interest has not been charged for any criminal offense in the fifteen years since the date of the final disposition of all criminal proceedings against the person in interest.

(b) (I) Any petition to seal criminal records shall include a listing of each custodian of the records to whom the sealing order is directed and any information which accurately and completely identifies the records to be sealed.

(II) (A) Upon the filing of a petition, the court shall review the petition and determine whether there are grounds under this section to proceed to a hearing on the petition. If the court determines that the petition on its face is insufficient or if the court determines that, after taking judicial notice of matters outside the petition, the petitioner is not entitled to relief under this section, the court shall enter an order denying the petition and mail a copy of the order to the petitioner. The court's order shall specify the reasons for the denial of the petition.

(B) If the court determines that the petition is sufficient on its face and that no other grounds exist at that time for the court to deny the petition under this section, the court shall set a date for a hearing and the petitioner shall notify the prosecuting attorney by certified mail, the arresting agency, and any other person or agency identified by the petitioner.

(c) After the hearing described in subparagraph (II) of paragraph (b) of this subsection (1) is conducted and if the court finds that the harm to the privacy of the petitioner or dangers of unwarranted adverse consequences to the petitioner outweigh the public interest in retaining the records, the court may order such records, except basic identification information, to be sealed. Any order entered pursuant to this paragraph (c) shall be directed to every custodian who may have custody of any part of the arrest and criminal records information which is the subject of the order. Whenever a court enters an order sealing criminal records pursuant to this paragraph (c), the petitioner shall provide the Colorado bureau of investigation and every custodian of such records with a copy of such order. Thereafter, the petitioner may request and the court may grant an order sealing the civil case in which the records were sealed.

(d) Upon the entry of an order to seal the records, the petitioner and all criminal justice agencies may properly reply, upon any inquiry in the matter, that no such records exist with respect to such person.

(e) Inspection of the records included in an order sealing criminal records may thereafter be permitted by the court only upon petition by the person who is the subject of such records or by the prosecuting attorney and only for those purposes named in such petition.

(f) (I) Employers, educational institutions, state and local government agencies, officials, and employees shall not, in any application or interview or in any other way, require an applicant to disclose any information contained in sealed records. An applicant need not, in answer to any question concerning arrest and criminal records information that has been sealed, include a reference to or information concerning such sealed information and may state that no such action has ever occurred. Such an application may not be denied solely because of the applicant's refusal to disclose arrest and criminal records information that has been sealed.

(II) Subparagraph (I) of this paragraph (f) shall not preclude the bar committee of the Colorado state board of law examiners from making further inquiries into the fact of a conviction which comes to the attention of the bar committee through other means. The bar committee of the Colorado state board of law examiners shall have a right to inquire into the moral and ethical qualifications of an applicant, and the applicant shall have no right to privacy or privilege which justifies his refusal to answer to any question concerning arrest and criminal records information that has come to the attention of the bar committee through other means.

(g) Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize the physical destruction of any criminal justice records.

(1.5) For the purpose of protecting the author of any correspondence which becomes a part of criminal justice records, the court having jurisdiction in the judicial district in which the criminal justice records are located may, in its discretion, with or without a hearing thereon, enter an order to seal any information, including, but not limited to, basic identification information contained in said correspondence. However, the court may, in its discretion, enter an order which allows the disclosure of sealed information to defense counsel or, if the defendant is not represented by counsel, to the defendant.

(2) Advisements. Whenever a defendant has charges against him dismissed, is acquitted, or is sentenced following a conviction, the court shall provide him with a written advisement of his rights concerning the sealing of his criminal justice records if he complies with the applicable provisions of this section.

(3) Exceptions. (a) This section shall not apply to records pertaining to:

(I) Any class 1 or class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense;

(II) Any class A or class B traffic infraction; or

(III) Any conviction for a violation of section 42-4-1301 (1) or (2), C.R.S.

(b) Court orders sealing records of official actions entered pursuant to this section shall not limit the operation of rules of discovery promulgated by the supreme court of Colorado.

(c) This section shall not apply to records pertaining to a conviction of an offense for which the factual basis involved unlawful sexual behavior, as defined in section 16-22-102 (9), C.R.S.

(d) This section shall not apply to arrest and criminal justice information or criminal justice records in the possession and custody of a criminal justice agency when inquiry concerning the arrest and criminal justice information or criminal justice records is made by another criminal justice agency.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IM sorry Michelle, but english please
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear Customer

Apologies - the statute that I provided tells who is eligible and how to apply. It also states that unless you were found not guilty or had a probation that was successfuly you would not be granted an expungement of your record and that those who do qualfy must wait 15 years after the final disposition was given.

You can contact the Clerk of the Court where your sentence originated for more information.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I promise to accept but am I eligible or not? What do you mean by successful probation? I was put on 2 years probation which I completed would That qualify me?
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear Customer

Colorado does not permit criminal convictions to be expunged. On a probation matter you would need to wait 15 years from the final day that the probation was successfully completed. So due to the time of the conviction, you are not at this time eligible. The law does allow arrests records to be sealed if there were no charges filed , or if the charge was dismissed or if you were found not guilty.

I suggest that you might want to contact your state elected officials, sit with them, explain the catch-22 you are in and discuss possible legislation that would be useful for those who are in your situation to see if expugement laws can be amended so folks who have been free and clear of any criminal wrongdoing can get employment.

You can CLICK HERE to locate those state officials who represent you.

Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience: 30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs