J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Experience:  23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.

i commited a fellony over 15 years ago. I know the law ...

i commited a fellony over 15 years ago. I know the law states if only one fellony and it has been 15 years off probation. you have tour gun rights back. question is can i buy a gun or do i have to file something first to buy a gun? in oregon
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J D Haas replied 6 years ago.
Here is the statute:

166.270 Possession of weapons by certain felons. (1) Any person who has been convicted of a felony under the law of this state or any other state, or who has been convicted of a felony under the laws of the Government of the United States, who owns or has in the person’s possession or under the person’s custody or control any firearm commits the crime of felon in possession of a firearm.

(2) Any person who has been convicted of a felony under the law of this state or any other state, or who has been convicted of a felony under the laws of the Government of the United States, who owns or has in the person’s possession or under the person’s custody or control any instrument or weapon having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force or any blackjack, slungshot, sandclub, sandbag, sap glove or metal knuckles, or who carries a dirk, dagger or stiletto, commits the crime of felon in possession of a restricted weapon.

(3) For the purposes of this section, a person “has been convicted of a felony” if, at the time of conviction for an offense, that offense was a felony under the law of the jurisdiction in which it was committed. Such conviction shall not be deemed a conviction of a felony if:

(a) The court declared the conviction to be a misdemeanor at the time of judgment; or

(b) The offense was possession of marijuana and the conviction was prior to January 1, 1972.

(4) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to any person who has been:

(a) Convicted of only one felony under the law of this state or any other state, or who has been convicted of only one felony under the laws of the United States, which felony did not involve criminal homicide, as defined in ORS 163.005, or the possession or use of a firearm or a weapon having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, and who has been discharged from imprisonment, parole or probation for said offense for a period of 15 years prior to the date of alleged violation of subsection (1) of this section; or

(b) Granted relief from the disability under 18 U.S.C. 925(c) or has had the person’s record expunged under the laws of this state or equivalent laws of another jurisdiction.

(5) Felon in possession of a firearm is a Class C felony. Felon in possession of a restricted weapon is a Class A misdemeanor. [Amended by 1975 c.702 §1; 1985 c.543 §4; 1985 c.709 §2; 1987 c.853 §1; 1989 c.839 §4; 1993 c.735 §2; 1995 c.518 §1; 1999 c.1040 §16; 2003 c.14 §64]

You contact the court for relief and return of your firearm privileges:

166.274 Relief from prohibition against possessing or purchasing firearm. (1) A person barred from possessing a firearm under ORS 166.250 (1)(c)(A), (B), (D) or (E) or barred from purchasing a firearm under ORS 166.470 may file a petition for relief from the bar in:

(a) A justice court in the petitioner’s county of residence that is reasonably accessible to the petitioner; or

(b) If no justice court is reasonably accessible, the circuit court.

(2) A person may apply once per calendar year for relief under the provisions of this section.

(3)(a) A person petitioning for relief under this section shall serve a copy of the petition on:

(A) The city chief of police if the court in which the petition is filed is located in a city; or

(B) The sheriff of the county in which the court is located.

(b) The copy of the petition shall be served on the chief of police or sheriff at the same time the petition is filed at the court.

(4)(a) When a petition is denied, the judge shall cause that information to be entered into the Department of State Police computerized criminal history files.

(b) When a petition is granted, the judge shall cause that information and a fingerprint card of the petitioner to be entered into the Department of State Police computerized criminal history files. If, after a petition is granted, the petitioner is arrested and convicted of a crime that would disqualify the petitioner from purchasing or possessing a firearm, the Department of State Police shall notify the court that granted relief under this section. The court shall review the order granting relief and determine whether to rescind the order. The Department of State Police may charge a reasonable fee, under ORS 192.440, for the entry and maintenance of information under this section.

(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 9.320, a corporation, the state or any city, county, district or other political subdivision or public corporation in this state, without appearance by attorney, may appear as a party to an action under this section.

(6) If the petitioner seeks relief from the bar on possessing or purchasing a firearm, relief shall be granted when the petitioner demonstrates, by clear and convincing evidence, that the petitioner does not pose a threat to the safety of the public or the petitioner.

(7) A person barred from possessing or purchasing a firearm because the person, while a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for committing an act which, if committed by an adult, would have constituted a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, is not eligible to petition for relief under this section until more than four years have passed since the person was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court.

(8) Petitions filed under this section shall be heard and disposed of within 15 judicial days of filing or as soon as is practicable thereafter, but not more than 30 days thereafter. The judge shall then make findings and conclusions and issue a judgment based on the findings and conclusions in accordance with the requirements of law.

(9) Filing fees shall be as for any civil action filed in the court.

(10)(a) Initial appeals of petitions shall be heard de novo.

(b) Any party to a judgment under this subsection may appeal to the Court of Appeals in the same manner as for any other civil action.

(c) If the governmental entity files an appeal under this subsection and does not prevail, it shall be ordered to pay the attorney fees for the prevailing party. [1989 c.839 §11; 1991 c.67 §37; 1993 c.732 §§3,4; 1995 c.518 §2; 1995 c.658 §88]

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your
questions.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.

J D Haas, Lawyer
Experience: 23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.