Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

a person goes to a party and police arrive and

Customer Question

a person goes to a party and police arrive and marijuna was found, who can get charged. all the poeple is 17,except for the one person just arrived and he is 18.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

Everyone can be charged - it is what is considered "constructive possession" meaning the state would need to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that those charged had some kind of authority or control over the drugs and/or the premises and that they had knowledge of the drugs. Keep in mind, that the mere proximity of the drug is not enough to get a conviction. But the arrest can be a nightmare and will be seen on a record background check.

Best to you,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle