Moe Manser
Moe Manser, Paralegal
Experience:  President of U.S. Legal Research Corp., over 15 years of assisting lawyers nationwide. Federal/State
8373170

cops said smelled marijauna at a hotel come to my room ...

cops said smelled marijauna at a hotel come to my room pushed their way in and searched it. They found Herion and a straw in the room not on my possesion. Took me to jail charges Possesion and paraphanalia. Was it legal for them to be able to comein my motel room and search like they did?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Moe Manser replied 8 years ago.
Dear KERRleaa

If the police officers believed they had probable cause that something illegal was going on in the hotel room, they have the legal authority to enter and search the room with-out a search warrant. Since they claim that they smelled marijuana, that gives them justification to enter and search. These are serious felony charges, My best advice for you is to hire an attorney, but if you can't afford an attorney most likely the court will appoint a public defender on his behalf.

Good Luck !!

Regards,
Moe

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks Moe