Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

Is it legal to place post card sized flyers in the ...

Customer Question

Is it legal to place post card sized flyers in the information racks in California Court Houses and on the cars in the courthouse parking lot.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

For inside the Court House, you will need to check with a court house clerk - they would need to "approve" material that is placed in the racks.

As to placing them on the vehicles, there are local ordinances against it - so you would need to check with the local town halls. Keep in mind, that trespassing, littering laws can apply. Additionally, it damage occurs to a vehicle - the windshield, etc you and the company that you are distributing for could be held liable.

Best of success to you in this endeavor,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for taking the time to answer. However, your answer was to check with the court house clerk, which we did not feel was really an answer. We knew we could do that, but since it was the weekend when we asked the question, could not get an answer from the clerk at that time. We have since asked the court clerk, and the answer (in case you are asked in the future) is that it is illegal for us to either place postcards or flyers in the information racks in the courthouse, or to place flyers on vehicles in the parking lot. This is a state law and does not vary from courthouse to courthouse. Sorry we are not able to accept, but we do not feel that advising us to ask someone else is really an answer. Thank you.