Experience:  Information provided is for entertainment puposes only and is NOT legal advice.

I looked at a payroll document on my ...

Customer Question

I looked at a payroll document on my employer''s desk. It contained information about salaries, raises, etc. I then, stupidly, shared the information with 2 of my coworkers who told my employer. I know I have invaded his privacy. Is what I did a legally punishable offense? What is the worst case scenario if what I did isn''t just wrong but illegal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  NOT LEGAL ADVICE! replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

As California adheres to the doctrine of at-will employment, your employer may terminate you without cause, including the invasion of privacy of your co-workers. Insofar as a legally punishable offense, your employer would not be able to pursue criminal charges against you because they did not appear to take the necessary precautions to protect the document.

Let me know if you would like more information.

Please remember to click "ACCEPT."
This is the ONLY way I am paid for my efforts.
POSITIVE FEEDBACK is appreciated and reciprocated.

All of my BONUS earnings will be DONATED to:

The Breast Cancer Alliance United to Support and Educate (BCAUSE), the Susan G. Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer Research and PAWS; a non-profit organization which provides essential services to assist the low-income elderly, chronically ill and disabled in keeping their companion animals.

Thank you for your support of these CHARITABLE ORGANIZATIONS!

Disclaimer: Any information given by me is for informational use only and is not legal advice. This is general information and is not intended to be specifically tailored to an individual. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek legal counsel in their jurisdiction for accurate guidance regarding their individual circumstances.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I wasn't completely truthful with all of the circumstances in my first question. I din't see the payroll information, I took it from his office, looked at it and put it back. He may have hidden video surveillance cameras in his office. Now did I do something illegal?

While this is an invasion of privacy, your actions would not be subject to criminal prosecution.