Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

Is it illegal for me to allow an underage person to be a DJ

I own a night club in Santa Monica. My son is a 17 yr old DJ, DOES NOT DRINK, and wants to DJ at the club. My understanding is that liquor cannot be served or consumed by underage people, however, I am not violating any law by allowing my underage son to DJ at the club (so long as he doesn''t consumer any alcohol). Is that true?

DearCustomer/p>

This is what the California Code says about employment of those under 21 by those who have a liquor license - according to (b) if your son was 18 and you were a carry out you would be ok.

25663.

(a) Every person who employs or uses the services of any
person under the age of 21 years in or on that portion of any
premises, during business hours, which are primarily designed and
used for the sale and service of alcoholic beverages for consumption
on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(b) Any off-sale licensee who employs or uses the services of any
person under the age of 18 years for the sale of alcoholic beverages
shall be subject to suspension or revocation of his or her license,
except that a person under the age of 18 years may be employed or
used for those purposes if that person is under the continuous
supervision of a person 21 years of age or older.

Best to you in this matter,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The answer is wrong.

Although Section 25663 (a) of the California Business and Professions Code prohibits employments of persons under the age 21 yrs old, Section 25633.5 of the B&P Code contains an exemption for musicians providing entertainment. My son will be 18 next week, and accordingly he can be a musician so long as he doesn't drink and remains in the area designated for DJ's.

25663 (a) Every person who employs or uses the services of any person under the age of 21 years in or on that portion of any premises, during business hours, which are primarily designed and used for the sale and service of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor

25663.5. Notwithstanding Section 25663 or any other provision of law, persons 18 to 21 years of age may be employed as musicians, for entertainment purposes only, during business hours on premises which are primarily designed and used for the sale and service of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, if live acts, demonstrations, or exhibitions which involve the exposure of the private parts or buttocks of any participant or the breasts of any female participant are not allowed on such premises. However, the area of such employment shall be limited to a portion of the premises that is restricted to the use exclusively of musicians or entertainers in the performance of their functions, and no alcoholic beverages shall be sold, served, consumed, or taken into that area. .

DearCustomer/p>

You are indeed correct - with the exemption - I missed it. If you would like me to put in for a refund, I will do so immediately.