Moe Manser
Moe Manser, Paralegal
Experience:  President of U.S. Legal Research Corp., over 15 years of assisting lawyers nationwide. Federal/State
8373170

I bailed my son out of jail for DUI and several other

I bailed my son out of jail for DUI and several other charges. He is 22 years old. The judge revoked his bond due to failure to appear, etc. He has acquired his own bond since and the former bond company is harrassing me for $350.00 for having to pick him up. I gave the bond company the info they needeed to find him. I don''t want to cheat anyone out of money "I" owe, but I am very sceptical concerning the bondsmans right to charge for this. Isn''t this one of the responsibilities of the bond co. when they agree to place bond for anyone?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Moe Manser replied 9 years ago.
DearCustomerbr />
How the bail process work?
Posting of a bail bond. This process involves a contractual undertaking guaranteed by a bail agent and the individual posting bail. The bail agent guarantees to the court that the defendant will appear in court each and every time the judge requires them to.

For this service, the defendant is charged a percentage of the bail amount. Before being released the defendant or a relative or friend of the defendant, typically contacts a bail bondsman to arrange for the posting of bail. Prior to the posting of a bail bond, the defendant or a co-signer must guarantee that they will pay the full amount of bail if the defendant does not appear in court.

Typically, a family member or a close friend of the defendant will post bail and cosign. Collateral is not always required for a person to be bailed from jail.

After an agreement is reached, the bail agent posts a bond for the amount of the bail, to guarantee the defendant’s return to court.

If the defendant "skips", the cosigner is immediately responsible for the full amount of the bail. If the defendant is located and arrested by the bail agent the cosigner is responsible for all expenses the bail enforcement agent incurs while looking for the defendant.

In the fine print which is located behind the bail contract, It clearly states that the cosigner is responsible for all expenses the bail enforcement agent incurs while looking for the defendant.

Regards,
Moe