How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michelle Your Own Question
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4136
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michelle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son did not do his community service as he should

Resolved Question:

My son did not do his community service as he should have.He has been given two chances to complete the 38 hours remaining, but for some reason hasn''t done it. Now there is a bench warrant for him. He wants to turn himself in and get this behind him.
Should he take a lawyer when he turns himself in?
Will there be bail involved?
Will he do time in jail?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.


It is always advisable to have an attorney when you turn yourself in - this is so they can help negoiate a bail. However, in this matter it is a bench warrant issued due to his failure to follow a direct court order where a bail is not established - the issuing judge will determine whether to impose the original sentence which was suspended when he was given the community service option.

It would be advisable to have an attorney available at that hearing so that he can help articulate why your son did not complete the service that the judge so generously allowed in lieu of a jail sentence. Perhaps, based on the reasoning and the nature of the crime the judge will allow him one more opportunity. One never knows. But certainly an attorney would be most beneficial at that point.

Best to you and your son,


If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle


Michelle and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you