Moe Manser
Moe Manser, Paralegal
Experience:  President of U.S. Legal Research Corp., over 15 years of assisting lawyers nationwide. Federal/State

My wife forged my name to a check that fraudulently aquired ...

Customer Question

My wife forged my name to a check that fraudulently aquired from my 401K retirement account. Is there anything I can do about this
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Moe Manser replied 8 years ago.

If your wife is not on the account, meaning it's not a joint account, and she signed your name on a check without your knowledge of permission, this is considered forgery. Your bank is responsible for returning your funds to you and going after her to recover the funds. All banks provide protection against theft and forgery to their customers, and this is a forgery case. Contact your bank and report it as an unauthorized transaction. They will investigate it, and if the signatures do not match, they will return your funds in your account and go after your wife for collection. Keep in mind criminal charges may be brought up against your wife by the bank, and she can be charged with theft and forgery.

Good Luck!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The account is a 401K retirement account and she is not on the account as an authorized user. From what I understand in the state of Florida a spouse can go into this type of account but she decieved them by making them think she was me. The check was cut to me without my knowledge and she signed my name name to the check