Moe Manser
Moe Manser, Paralegal
Experience:  President of U.S. Legal Research Corp., over 15 years of assisting lawyers nationwide. Federal/State

My ex husband agreed to pay me 5,000.00 on December ...

Customer Question

My ex husband agreed to pay me 5,000.00 on December 01,2008. He has not paid anything to me. His attorney notified me that he would agree to pay me 600.00 amonth,beginning in Jan. But today I called his attorney and they stated that he didnt have the 600.00 and for me to arrange to sell the property. I told them he was the one in comtempt of court and that I wasn''t going to arrange the sell. How do I file contempt charges on him? My attorney wants 1500.00 to do it. Which I think is outragous......Since this was all agreed upon during the divorce. I would appreciate any help you can give me...
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Moe Manser replied 8 years ago.
Dear crm1953,

You can file a contempt of court motion on your own. (pro se) contact the court clerk in your county and request a pro se package or the court's forms which they have readly available. The cost for filing is about $15.00, depending on the state your in. Once the forms are filed you will receive a court date. Your ex husband will also be summoned to appear, you would need to send a copy to your ex husband's lawyer via certified mail.
If there was a judgment against him and he violated it, the judge will hold him in contempt and will order him to pay the money or face going to jail.

Good Luck !!