Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

A 14 year old girl is accusing my brother-in-law of ...

A 14 year old girl is accusing my brother-in-law of touching/rubbing her leg. He completely denies this. What kind of proof would be need to charge him and what would the charge be? What kind of punishment could go along with this? Do they just believe the girl? We want to know the worst that could happen if they did take her word for it?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

Please tell me the age of your brother in law - what capacity he has over this young lady - for instance, is he a teacher or a coach, friend who with entrusted care or a total stranger. The additional information will allow me to assist you more accurately.

Thanks ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Michelle's Post: He is 30 and the girl is just a neighbor of his. Him, a couple other adults, and 2 teenagers were sitting at a picnic table after a bbq. My brotherinlaw and the girl were sitting on the same side, but with a bar in between them. He was not responsible for her in any way, just at the same place at the park outside all of their townhouses.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

Well, this kind of thing happens - one never really knows why a young person would fabricate such a story - as to whether they will take her at her word - most times NO. There would be an investigation wherein you B-I-L would be questioned. Of course, he does not need to answer any questions without having an attorney present to assist. So he might want to consider consultation with a local attorney for more guidance in this matter

The lowest of the degrees of a sexual contact offense would be in the Fourth Degree (609.345) and you can CLICK HERE to read more on that law and the possible penalties.

Keep in mind, that a crime of this nature needs to be prove that there was a sexual INTENT and has to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

While they will listen intently to the "victim" they should do an investigation with questioning before bringing charges. Again, it would be in his best interest to consult with a local attorney and have one on "stand by" in case such questioning should arise and he become uncomfortable with it. An attorney will be able to protect his rights at the juncture.

Please let me know, if you need more information

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience: 30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs