Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.

I am facing a possible restraining order. I need to know if ...

I am facing a possible restraining order. I need to know if I have a case against the charges, and what could happen to me if convicted.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
You question is not clear.

1) Are you asking information only about a restraining order or do you also have criminal charges against you?

2) If you have been charged with a crime, what is that offense you have been charged with?

3) What state where you charged in?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am asking about a restraining order being filed against me. I do not have any criminal charges filed against me previously. I would be charged in the state of Florida.
You state you do not have any criminal charges filed against you previously but my question was whether you are currently charged with a criminal offense? And if so what?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not currently charged with a criminal offense. If I am going to be charged it would be a restraining order due to stalking.
Thank you for your clarification.

If they are claiming stalking as the grounds to get the restraining order then the only way to dismiss the restraining order petition would be by disproving the allegations they have asserted.

Stalking in Florida is defined as the repeated pattern of behavior that is done for the purpose of harassing, following, which places the other person in a reasonable belief of harm, distress and such conduct serves no legitimate purpose. You can review the actual definition for stalking here.

So deciding whether you can fight this restraining order would depend if you can disprove the allegation the petitioner asserted for the claim. If you cannot disprove the allegation the restraining order will be granted.

A restraining order is not a criminal action, it is a legal process which allows the petitioner to get an order of protection against you. So you will not be convicted of a restraining order. Only if you violate the restraining order will the police be able to arrest you and find you in contempt of court which can result in jail time and/or a fine at the discretion of the court.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: So if a restraining order is filed against me, will I have to go to court and face charges? Also would it go on my record? I have an ROTC scholarship and I fear a restraining order would jeapordize the scholarship and I fear I may lose it if the restraining order and stalking charges are filed against me. I never made an attempt or threat to hurt the other person.
A restraining order is a separate process from being charged with a crime. Just because you have a restraining order does not mean that you are being charged with a crime.

However with that said, it depends on the petitioner whether they want to press charges for stalking.

A restraining order does not go on your record because it is not a criminal offense. If you violate the restraining order then the violation of the restraining order is a criminal offense and the violation will go on your record.

As to your ROTC scholarship, that all depends on the terms of your scholarship. You will need to review it to see what can disqualify you from the scholarship.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Knowledgeable in the subject matter.