4ren6
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation
Experience:  Over 20 years of Law Enforcement. Sworn expert witness in Criminal and Civil Law.

Our son is facing sentencing on drug charges

Customer Question

Our son is facing sentencing on drug charges which fall within the mandatory sentencing guidelines. The DA has agreed to waive them for county time, since he has agreed to testify against someone else. He has now been arrested on a DUI. He has been in treatment(non court ordered).Would it be (or is it ever) appropriate to approach the arresting officer and explain that with this new charge he could and most likely will be sentenced to 3 to 5 years in prison. I would like to ask if he could drop it to disorderly conduct or some lesser charge. Can that be done by the arresting officer or must it now go to the DA?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
Are you wanting an answer to this question...........? You state no need to answer.........yet you have a deposit on it. Please let us know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just don't need to give additional info.
I thought that was what that block was for. additional info. yes please answer my original question.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
He should not ask the police for this. If the testimony that he has is strong enough then the DA would be the one to speak with to reduce this. Never the arresting officer. Speak to the DA if he is the one within the same jurisdiction as the addtional charge. Inappropriate and illegal for the officer to reduce on his own. Let me know if I may further assist.
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation
Experience: Over 20 years of Law Enforcement. Sworn expert witness in Criminal and Civil Law.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX not even told his attorny about this yet. What do you think the odds are that the DA will lower the charges. If I would have to guess I would say the DA to handle this in municple court would not be the same one representing the state in the first case.It is in the same county.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
Does he have any priors............on DUI.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
If it is his second DUI and a different District Attoreny using him..............I would count the odds as slim. But it is worth the attempt. You need to tell his attorney about this.