Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

HOW TO FIND HELP FOR SOMEONE THAT RECEIVED A SENTENCE ...

HOW TO FIND HELP FOR SOMEONE THAT RECEIVED A SENTENCE OF 85 YEARS IN PRISON FOR POSSESSION OF A SMALL AMOUNT OF CONCAINE. HE HAS BEEN IN PRISON FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS ALREADY.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear Duke

Did this someone go to trial? What state did this occur? What type of prior record does this person have?

Thanks for the follow up information so I can better assist.

~ Michelle

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Michelle's Post: WENT TO TRIAL IN STATE OF VIRGINIA / HIS AGE AT THE TIME 21 / NO PRIOR CONVICTIONS
           SINCERELY
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear Customer

Please CLICK HERE to read the VA penalties for felony convictions so that you can understand the sentencing structure - possession of cocaine (a schedule II CDS) is a class 5 Felony - according to the law as I have provided the Class 5 felony is a term of imprisonment of not less than one year nor more than 10 years, or in the discretion of the jury or the court trying the case without a jury, confinement in jail for not more than 12 months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

Therefore, if there are no other matters or circumstances involving this crime (near a playground or other child-like area No Drug Zone, No firearm on person) IF IN Fact the mere possession was the only charge of conviction and the person was not on any proabation or parole that would have been revoked adding to the sentence for possession - then there really is a huge discrepency - it is possible that 15 years ago the law was different and that the sentence was indeed in the guidelines and that changes have since been made

I wanted to give you that background - I suggest that you might want to contact the VA Bar Association and seek a referral - you can do that HERE - perhaps there is an attorney who would investigate this matter and handle it pro bono.

Again, absent any other facts and matters there does appear to be a serious injustice of the penatly imposed.

Best of success to you in this matter,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I HAVE SPOKE WITH ATTORNEYS AND THEY WANT A GREAT DEAL OF MONEY TO TAKE THE CASE AND LOOK INTO IT FOR ME.HE HAS NO ONE WITH MONEY TO HELP HIM.Is there any other way that this person can get help?
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear Duke

The link I gave you for the Bar Pro Bono services - meaning the attorney would take it for free - is the only recourse. This really is such an injustice - have you thought about going to the press with this information. I have provided the law for you to print out. Sometimes, if press is generated attorneys will come forward and want to take the matter pro bono. There really are no other suggestions - unfortunately, we can't make attorneys take cases.

The only other thing I can suggest is contact the University of VA Law School - HERE and you might be able to find an attorney/professor who would get interested enough to help locate a pro bono attorney to work with students in this matter

Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience: 30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
SINCERELY XXXXX XXXXX WAS TOLD THAT HE COULD BE HELPED.WITHOUT HELP YOU DON'T HAVE A CHANCE.MONEY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.