Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.

I had a three month relationship with a man who ...

I had a three month relationship with a man who "borrowed" $4,150 and signed a promissory note specifying repayment of this loan by November 30, 2007. He then wrote me a check, that bounced, for $2,075. Now, he continually calls and leaves derogatory and slanderous messages numerous times each day. This has escalated to a point where I feel he might follow up with some form of physical assault. What can I do legally?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
1) You can sue him for the bounce check under a breach of default claim. You can also press charges against him for the bounce check and insufficient funds.

2) You also have the right to press charges for verbal harassment and verbal assault. You are also eligible to file for a restraining order to protect yourself from any contact whether in person or by phone against this person. You can get the forms, more information and court process for the restraining order for Texas here.

3) Do not wait, I suggest you contact the police and report what he has done.

This is your legal recourse.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.