J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Experience:  23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.
6118667

Ohio resident.......Is my wife commiting a crime My wife ...

Customer Question

Ohio resident.......Is my wife comiting a crime? My wife is getting a possible settlement from insurance company as a result of a minor accident which ocured over 1 year ago. Part of the settlement may be for Chiropractic and other services received to be paid. If she accepts the money and chooses to not pay the medical bills but squanders the money instead are any laws being broken?? She states that she does not care about her credit and I think the implications are far greater.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J D Haas replied 8 years ago.
No laws are being broken. She is accepting the money as a full settlement of all of her injuries. If she does not pay the providers, the insurance company does not have to pay them. The providers will go after her for collection as she is breaking her contracts with them to pay her bills.

I hope that I have helped you and that I have answered all of your questions. Please contact me if I have not answered all of your questions. If my answer is satisfactory please accept it. I really appreciate positive feedback.

In the future, you can specifically request that I work with you on your legal question. If you have specifically requested that I answer this question, thank you.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship. The only way that I am legally responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm.