Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

My son (17 yrs old) entered a house through an

My son (17 yrs old) and two friends (18 yrs old) entered a house of a friend through an unlocked door while family was away. They invited ten others and stayed there overnight. The family has returned and are aware of the invasion. They reported this to the police. The police have not conacted us yet. Should we employ a lawyer now? Should we allow our son to give info about others involved to the homeowner (she requested this)?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

I suggest that no further contact be made with the victim - and that you do consult with a local attorney - when the police do begin to investigate your son has the right to have an attorney present at all questioning and interviews. This is the type of situation where one child will turn on the other real quick to save themselves - so it is best to have an attorney who can make sure that your son's rights are protected and to articulate and negoiate for him. It is possible that if you contact a local attorney he/she will want to talk with the homeowners and make arrangements for your son to give up information but only contingent on him not being prosecuted.

A conviction of such a crime can be very detrimental to the future, as I am sure you are aware. I would not risk handling it without legal counsel.

Best to you and your family in this matter,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle