rvlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Former Assistant District Attorney - NYC; Criminal Defense Experience for 30+ years

Intent to purchase

If you tell the police that you intended to purchase marijuana from someone and they have store video of you giving the person money at an ATM (but not receiving marijuana), can you get in trouble? The drugs do not exist anymore so there is no evidence. You will then ask "why tell the police?", but it is connected to a larger criminal act against the "buyer".
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Without the admission, they had no case. so why the admission? What is the larger crime? Was the admission made after Miranda warnings? After a deal was discussed? Blurted out?... ie. is it admissible in court???? Help me to help you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hello. sorry for the delay. no one said anything to the police. i am just asking if there is an investigation and a tape shows an exchange of money...i imagine someone will ask why this money was given from one person to another. and if the answer involves a marijuana purchase, can anyone get in trouble? does one need to answer with anything? can one say nothing?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

SAY NOTHING! If there is money transferred at an ATM but nothing transferred in return, there is no evidence of criminality. It could be me with my son going to the ATM to get money to give him his allowance!