4ren6
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation
Experience:  Over 20 years of Law Enforcement. Sworn expert witness in Criminal and Civil Law.
796442

i have snooped on an exs email and

i have "snooped" on an ex''s email and other web accts after I   was able to guess his password. I did not use any information for any gain whatsoever. Aside from the obvious ethical issues, is this considered illegal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  4ren6 replied 8 years ago.
yes, as it is an invasion of privacy. It indeed can be a chargeable offense of invasion of privacy. You had no legal grounds to enter into his private affair once you "guessed" his password. Any of the information or emails may not be used as they were obtained wrongfully. If you need further assistance on this i will be glad to respond if needed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is this considered a criminal or civil offense or both? What are the possible consequences? (fines, jail, or both)

How does he figure out if I had visited a certain website/accessed his account? How long do ISPs keep record logs of the web sites visited?
Expert:  4ren6 replied 8 years ago.
It could be considered either criminal or civil depending on what was accessed and how they may wish to persue prosection or filing of a report. Depending on the actual circumstances involved most often it would not require any jail time. An exception being access to banking accounts to access funds.

How does he figure out if I had visited a certain website/accessed his account?
Sorry but this question I will not answer as it can give information on how to access accounts and this is against our Terms of Service. ISP's all vary on the length of records on history. There are no federal guidelines for the retention of such. Please let me know if you need further assistance.