4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation
Experience:  Over 20 years of Law Enforcement. Sworn expert witness in Criminal and Civil Law.

I was on private property on a university in P.A.

I was on private property on a university in P.A. the university has its own private police force but does not do traffic citations so the officer call the local police who issue me a citation for not having insurance, does the university police have probable cause to stop me when it is 4 p.m. and I am just looking at the campus, I was not cited for trespassing, but it is posted
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  4ren6 replied 8 years ago.
What was the reason they gave you for stopping you.........?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: suspicious vehicle on campus since I did not know the area my first time on campus
Expert:  4ren6 replied 8 years ago.
You were on private property and based on that the campus police did have reason to stop you. No decal showing would be cause for such a stop. The local police can then also stop you on suspesion and cite you for any traffic citations. What was done was legal. Your rights were not violated. You could argue in court that you were lost and not familar with the area. But you state that you were just looking at the campus. With recent campus shootings the police are more concerned about non registered visitors and the reason for being on campus. Let me know if you need further assistance.