Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

I am from New Jersey and i was wondering if ...

Customer Question

I am from New Jersey and i was wondering if someone were to break an entry/trespass into my house do i have the right to shoot them with a firearm?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

At this time, New Jersey residents do not have the protection of self defense to their family and home by intruders - there was an effort to pass a "stand your ground" bill but it never passed the legislature - there is no "castle doctrine" in NJ; therefore, you have a duty to retreat and call 911

You can keep the firearm in your home and you can hold an intruder at gunpoint until the police arrive - but you cannot shot them to protect you, your family and home.

Best to you,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle