Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

I did a background check and came up with a record in ...

I did a background check and came up with a record in Florida and under the category it says Criminal XXXXXXXXX. What does this mean?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear Customer

If it only shows that there was a conviction but gives not further information, it means that the case was expunged and the records sealed - in essense this means that there is no record of criminal behavior - it is as if the crime and conviction never happened.

I do not know the basis for your backgrnd check but if employment related persons who have had records expunged are not mandated to reveal the same.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michelle's Post: does the codeNNN-NN-NNNNmean expungement or does it mean something else?
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear Customer

That I cannot tell you as that would be a court code for administrative purposes - however, again if there is not any other listing - such as "Crimimal - shoplifting" or some sort of docket entries showing how the case evolved from beginning to end then that would be an expungement - only the clerk of the court is going to be able to tell you exactly what that code means.