Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

When your arrested for racketeering in NJ is it a federal ...

When your arrested for racketeering in NJ is it a federal offense or a state offense? What are the penalties? Same question for money laundering and promoting gambling.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX Cila

These crimes are federal under Chapter 95 of Title 18 of the US CODE.

Racketeering - Depending on the activity the penalities range from 5 to 20 years

Money Laundering and promoting gambling - again depending on the exact activity and what evidence gets the conviction - shall be sentenced to a fine of not more than $500,000 or twice the value of the property involved in the transaction, whichever is greater, or imprisonment for not more than twenty years, or both.

Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience: 30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One further question is there a minumum sentance for a first offense. And if found quilty of all of these charges do the sentenses run concurrently or in sucession. Please inform me and I will gladly accept.
Expert:  Michelle replied 6 years ago.

Dear XXXXX Cila

The law does not distinquish between a first or subsequent offense and such would need to be determined by the federal prosecutor and the judge. The same for the concurrent or consecutive sentences - that would be up to the judge to make that determination and would be based on the facts, and nature and circumstances of the crime(s) - I would suggest that with the assistance of a good local attorney the minimum sentence could be obtained for a first offense - again, depending on the totality of the facts, nature and circumstances of the crime - and if there is cooperation of the defendant sought by the state (turn state's evidence on co-defendants)

You can CLICK HERE to read the US Code Title 18, Chapter 95 sections 1952, 1955 and 1956 where these crimes and penalities are covered.

Best of success to you in this matter,