Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

Does this law cover a murdered that was committed on ...

Does this law cover a murdered that was committed on OCtober 7 2007 at a party with minors.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

I would like to assist you - but I do not see what law you are referring to. Please give more details and a specific question.

Thanks ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Nebraska passed a DRAM Shop law.Effective 1-2-08.
If a minor received beer from an adult on 10-7-07 can they be held accountable for that?Even if it happened last year?
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your patience while I researched the legislation -

LB 537 was passed and signed by the Governor - in essence the bill - now law - states that a retailer who serves alcoholic liquor to any minor or to an adult who is noticeably intoxicated is liable for resulting injury, death, or damage if the retailer was negligent or reckless. It should be noted that neither the intoxicated person nor his or her estate has a cause of action under the new law.

Additionally, the law would hold civilally liable any "social host" for damages by any minor whom the host had provided alcohol

THIS LAW is effective 1-2-08 and it is NOT RETROACTIVE - meaning that it will not be applied to anything that occurred BEFORE the 1-2-08 effective date - it will apply only to incidents on or AFTER that date.

Best to you,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle