Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs

what does it mean when a criminal charge has been vacated

i looked up my record and it says charged vacated, I don't understand what this means
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Was your case on appeal?

Thanks ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michelle's Post: no, i was to be in court and moved out of state before the court date. I wrote a letter to the Judge and explained my move.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

And then you received a letter or an Order stating the charge had been vacated? That means that the judge has disposed of the matter and that the pending charge has been dismissed or otherwise vacated - gone - no longer exists.

If there were a lower court decision and/or judgement and it was on appeal, it would mean that the judge felt the matter was unfair or not just and so the judgement would be set aside.

Apparently, when you wrote to the judge you made a good argument as to why the charged should be vacated and the judge agreed.

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle