Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I have a question on consumer protection. I have a credit

Hi, I have a question on consumer protection. I have a credit card, which for the most part, I paid of the balance on every month, without fail. I would just look at the end balance and pay it off. Suddenly, I noticed that within a month, the card balance had risen by a couple thousand dollars, although i had not used the card that month. I called in about this, and found out they had someone had accidentally been doing an auto pay into my account, which had offset by balance. The company had discovered this and reversed those payments. When i called about this, they said they would look into it further and then the called me back a few days later and said that they had realized that this had been going on for a year and a total of 11,000 dollars had been accidentally debited into my account, which had offset my monthly balance, and so they reversed these payments. I feel like the company should take part of the responsibility for this, because the trail of my payments, and monthly statements clearly shows that I paid of my balance each month, not realizing that balance was offset by someone else's error. Now I have this huge debt (which is twice the limit of the credit card itself) and after being meticulous about paying of my monthly balance, its really unfair Do I have rights as a consumer in this/
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: The company is based on washington dc
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Did you receive credit mistakenly and now they seek repayment and you are asking if you can have the company contribute since its their error?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
especially because i have made an effort to pay of the monthly balance every month, on time. now i am landed with a bill that is twice the limit of my credit card, and that is extremely stressful and really not fair at all
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am fine chatting, i cannot afford to call

In this situation, the resolution normallt consists of an extended no interest payment plan since the error is not yours. Alternatively, they can contribute to the balance since it is a serious error that now have put a burden on you without reason. You can suggest you expect both or you will pursue the matter with the attorney general office as a consumer complaint. No call needed. I agree.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, so i can ask them to negotiate a settlement plan which consists of them paying part of the balance, and me paying part, interest free? that is legitimate?

Yes, as they put you in this position.

Good luck.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thankyou

Very welcome. My pleasure.

Thanks for taking a moment to click on a rating.